15 September 2011

Luke and Our Driveway

Luke is a funny kid.  First of all, he loves to be outside.  Like, loves it.  Like, L-O-V-E-S it.

He likes to go to the glass door that connects our kitchen with our carport and look outside, if he really wants to go outside, he'll knock on it.  What's funny about Luke loving to be outside is that most of the time the bulk of what he does is run from the back wall of the carport all the way to the very edge of the sidewalk - which absolutely drives me crazy because he stops at the very edge and I'm never positive if he'll actually stop before barreling into our very busy residential street.  Then, once he's reached the very last inch of sidewalk, he turns around and runs back to the back wall of the carport and back and forth.  And back and forth.  And back and forth... you get the idea.



So, to combat my fears of him running into the street, I end up playing goalie - Luke is the ball and the street is my net.  I pace and shuffle and get ready to change direction at the last second to keep him from going into the street.  He can't get past me.  It's actually a pretty fun game.


For the record:  I am fairly certain that he knows not to go in the street and it's been a rare occurrence when he has left the sidewalk, but I play goalie all the same.

Better to be safe than sorry and all that.


Luke is a pretty wily competitor - he tries to zig and zag his way past me, and he's faster than you'd think!

Here, he's trying to fake me out:

(He's thinking, "If I look to the left she'll think that I'm going to go to the left...

Oh!  Ha ha ha!  Psych!  I looked to the left and then I went right!  Fooled you, sucka!")

He proceeded to run down the sidewalk in front of our house, then he turned around at the corner and came right back - as if to make sure we were still having fun with our game.


And we were.


And that's it.  He sticks to the driveway for most of the time - he only traverses the grass to get to the swing we have in the corner.


What can I say?  The kid loves swings!



And who can blame him?!

2 comments:

Becky Rose said...

Mandy- saw your to read book list. Great list! I inherite my dad's Hugh Nibley books and last year realized that if I didn't get started on them and others I would never read them. So i came up with a plan. I often read more than one book at a time and with this deep stuff ya kind of need to. I pick a book a year and calculate how many pages a month I'd need to read to finish the book. right now I'm doing Joseph Smith Rough stone rolling. I read 36 pages a month. Some months EASY- others not so much. It's always OK to read ahead. Are you on Goodreads.com. Great way to keep track of the books you read and see what friends are reading. Might want to check it out.
Happy reading!

Lindsay said...

Cute LUKE! I'd be a nervous wreck with that driveway game. You are super fun mom!c