29 August 2011

Audrey's Adventures in Hair

Saturday morning was a beautiful morning.  We got up and ate breakfast together and then Adam left to help a family in our neighborhood move.  It was about that time, that I noticed the mountain of dishes in the sink, which was starting to spill onto the cupboard; so I put on Dora the Explorer to entertain Audrey for a bit while I did some dishes.  Luke was content to play in the kitchen - alternating between rearranging the canned goods, reorganizing the tupperware cupboard, and climbing into and out of his high chair.  Everything was going well.  Just as I finished wiping down the counter-tops, silently congratulating myself on being such a productive wife and mother, I noticed that I hadn't heard Audrey talking to Dora that much.  It had been awfully quiet for a few minutes.  Most mothers out there will know that (especially with young kids) that is usually not a good sign!  I went downstairs to find Audrey safe.  Sitting next to her pair of kid scissors and a pile of her cute hair - no longer attached to her head!


(This is what I call Audrey's "Brave Face" - 
the one she uses whenever she is sad or hurt but is trying really hard not to let it show.)

She knew that she should not have done that.  I've told her many times that she isn't allowed to cut her own hair, and that she can only use scissors if mom or dad is with her.  The last few days I've been working on some scrapbooks and she's had a lot of fun cutting paper and Adam showed her how to make snowflakes on Friday night.  We've been having fun with scissors and I guess the temptation was simply too great for her to resist having a go at her hair - since I was occupied with the dishes for a few minutes.

The damage really wasn't too bad.  She just cut a portion on the left side, just above her ear.  It could've been much worse.

(The little scratch on her neck was not done by scissors, but by Luke's too-long fingernails; 
that and play wrestling do not make a good combination.)

Adam and I had a long discussion about what we should do to fix it.  We talked about taking her to a salon and having it cut.  But I haven't been very impressed with professional haircuts for Audrey, both times that we've taken her I've left feeling like I could've done just as well and for free!  

...But with this, I was worried if I didn't do a very good job, then there would be even less for the salon to work with to make a cute hairstyle.



So, we took her to the Regis Salon in the mall.



She had a booster seat and a fun little Zebra cape to wear.  (Fun fact:  the girl who is cutting her hair is Stephanie, who I've been going to for the last 2+ years.)



I told Stephanie to just give Audrey a cute, slightly A-line cut.  Audrey was a champ in the chair - she was really still and patient and did a good job.

I think it turned out really cute!




After the hair cut we went to Claire's and got some cute clips (for cheap!) and that seemed to brighten her mood significantly.



Audrey was quite the little hit at church - she got so many compliments on her new hair cut!  I could tell that she really liked being told how darling it looks!

Now, you may have noticed the title of this post is "Audrey's Adventures in Hair"... plural.  I've told you about the first one.

Our second one happened just about an hour ago.

Adam was online (at the kitchen table) doing something for school.  I was putting Luke down for his nap.  Where was Audrey, you ask?


Audrey was downstairs...

you guessed it... cutting her hair!

This time we didn't find her.  She came upstairs and said, "Do you like my new hair cut?"

I was so confused.  I put the scissors way out of reach, I'd thought.  But Audrey had managed to climb to the top shelf of the bookshelf to retrieve the scissors.

This time she'd done more significant damage!  She cut pretty close to her scalp in a couple of places - again on her left side (must be because she's right-handed).

This time I decided that I would just do my best to fix it.  And hope that her hair grows fast!

And this is what we ended up with:


I tried to blend what she'd done and cut around her ear to try and make it look like this style was done on purpose!



And I left her right side alone. So, it's a cute little asymmetrical pixie/bob hair cut.  Actually, in the world of hair I hear this is all the rage right now.  It's just not too often that you see it on a 3 year old.



Audrey is on the cutting edge of hair fashion right now.



Not too many people can pull that hair style off, but Audrey is definitely one of them!



(I have to go now to find a better, more Audrey-proof hiding place for all the scissors in our house!)



1 comment:

Marc and Megan said...

Oh no!! I can't believe she did it again! I was reading along thinking I knew all the details of the story and then, BAM! I'm completely shocked to see how it ends. I guess too many compliments may not have been the best thing! :) But, she is so dang cute however her hair is and hair does grow fast. Hoping you find a good hiding place for all the scissors!