16 August 2011

They Go Together, Too


A couple of weeks ago, I took the kids to my sister's house for a visit.  We left in the morning for the two-ish hour drive and spent the afternoon enjoying each other.  Audrey and Talea were busy jumping on the big trampoline, playing dolls in Talea's room, running around outside, eating pizza for lunch, and swinging on the tire swing.  They have so much fun together!  Dawnette and I were busy talking while trying to keep Luke out of trouble - which is no small task.


Our two little girls really love each other.  Dawnette's older daughter, McKayla, was also in on the fun - she's always so good about playing with Talea and Audrey, and watching out for Luke, too.  (She's there in the picture above, in the background with Luke.)  So I told her to come and get in the picture with Talea and Audrey.


At one point, Talea got some dress up clothes on and needed help with the zipper.  I was shocked when I recognized this particular dress.  I looked at Dawnette, eyes bulging in disbelief, and said "Is that...?!"  And she said, "Yep."  And it was.  The dress Talea put on was a dress that I wore when I was her age.  And Megan did too.  I'm not certain if Dawnette did as well... but I assume so.

The multi-generational dress:
On Talea:


On Megan, circa 1983:


And on me, circa 1984:


It was a fun day.  

I'm so glad for good family relationships.  I know I am lucky to get along so well with my siblings and parents - there really is very little discord in our family.  And I am glad of it.  I hope that I can do the same for Audrey and Luke, that the (relative) harmony of their young lives can transfer to mutual respect and affection into their later lives.  


I'm so thankful that, no matter what, I have a sister on each side of me to help bear my burdens, to share my excitement, to just be a part of my life - come what may.  

Because the best thing in my life is having my sisters play double duty as my best friends.    


2 comments:

Becky Rose said...

darling picture of you 3. Thanks for sharing. Cute post! We have a few dresses like that in our lives too.

Marc and Megan said...

I think I'm the lucky one to be positioned in between the two awesomest sisters in the world! :) Love the cute photos of Audrey and Talea (& McKayla, too!)!!