23 August 2011

Our Favorite New Writer

The other day, I wanted to take a few pictures with my girl.  So we did.



We got the smile but not the eye-contact with the camera.  So we tried again.




I love this one.

Then I thought I'd capture a more true to life portrait.  Audrey sucks her thumb.

And we're ok with it.

For now.



But of all the pictures we took that day, this next one is my favorite.  I love Audrey's expression.  It makes me smile.  It cracks me up.  I love it.  (I don't so much love me in this picture; but you win some, you lose some.  That's just how it is.)


After we took these pictures Audrey wanted to practice writing her name.  A couple of months ago, I got a big Preschool workbook that has all these practice pages for writing letters and numbers, drawing shapes and learning colors and counting, etc.  And she has really loved doing all of the lessons - we try to work on a few pages every day.  She's just recently started to ask to write her name.  So, usually I write the letters of her name in dots and she connects the dots and then does free-hand copying after that.  She really likes it.  It's fun to see her get so excited about being able to write her own name.  Here's one of the first pages with her name.  She does really well... then it kind of degenerates a bit toward the bottom of the page - but great for a beginner, I think.



One more (kind of funny) thing.  A few days ago, my name was written on something (I don't remember what) and Audrey saw it and while pointing to each letter, she said:  "M for Mom, A for Audrey, N for Nest, D for Dad, and Y for Yucas."  Cute, huh?  What's funny about it, though, is that my name is spelled with an I. So, first she mistook the I for a Y; and then because she still doesn't make the L sound for Ls, Lucas is still Yucas.  So actually, phonetically, she is quite right.

Man, I love that kid.




1 comment:

Marc and Megan said...

Oh, that's great! Y for Yucas! Love it! And, her writing her name... that's amazing! Go Audrey!! Love the photos of you two... so sweet!