28 October 2009

They Share a Gene Pool

I know that one of the first rules of parenting is: You shouldn't compare your children. Each one is unique and beautifully individual. And you should celebrate their own unique strengths. I have a strong belief that our spirit, our soul, our essence - whatever you want to call it - is infinite. I believe that it existed long before our bodies were created and will continue to exist long after the death of the body. I belief it is this that gives each of us our personality, our disposition, our attitude, etc. Of course nurturing, our environment, and how we were raised will have some influence - but I think a large portion of what makes us who we are comes from the entity that our bodies house. How else can you explain the sometimes radical differences in siblings who are raised by the same parents?

I'm not sure what kind of people my own children will become - it's still so early in their lives to discern specifics. But already there are a few noticeable differences! And I celebrate and marvel at each of them!

The most obvious difference between Audrey and Lucas is their physical characteristics. While I think they definitely look related - they share similar facial features and coloring - they are quite different in stature.

Exhibit A: Audrey at a little over one week:



Audrey was 6 pounds 8 ounces and 18 1/2 inches long when she was born. From the very first day she was very feminine, delicate, and dainty. She has always been on the low end of the spectrum for her weight compared to her peers - like 3rd percentile. But she's always been healthy so I have learned not to worry about it. She's just a petite little girly girl.

And I guess I just assumed that that was how all of our children would be. Luke has officially proven me wrong.

Exhibit B: Lucas at a little over one week:



Luke was born 7 pounds 11 ounces. Not too big. About average. He was born with boyish features and has overtaken about 85% of his peers in weight and height. I'm wondering how long it will be before he overtakes Audrey - even though she has had a year and a half head start, I'm not sure it'll be too long! (Audrey currently weighs 22 pounds. Luke weighs 15 pounds 4 ounces. You see what I mean?!)

I think it's so funny how each of my kids are falling in line with gender stereotypes - she's the petite, feminine girl and he's the stout, masculine boy. But I think it looks good on both of them.

Exhibit C: Audrey in the "Bumbo" at around 3 months old:



Exhibit D: Luke in the "Bumbo" at around 3 months old:



Aren't they adorable?! They have the same eyes, I think.

And maybe the same smile... it's hard to tell.









Whether they continue to share similarities or not, they sure are a lot of fun to have around.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mandi,

Just read your last blogs. It is great to get to follow your life a bit from afar. The kids are so cute! Noah is getting really big now too, hes started talking a lot now, and climbs everything, jumps and runs - so he is quite a handfull now! Yesterday when I picked him up from the daycare he talked for the whole hour it took us to get home by train and bus!

Love Kristine