21 October 2009

The End of an Era

Six and a half years ago I started working at New Haven - a Residential Treatment Center for adolescent girls. I didn't know it then but my life was about to change. I worked as a staff on the Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday evening shift for almost a year before becoming the Supervisor of that same shift for the next two and a half years. Then I worked as the Lead Supervisor of the Roosevelt house for a little over a year before having Audrey and going on maternity leave. I had anticipated that I would be returning to work after my three months - but not having a consistent someone to watch Audrey and finding out that motherhood really is a full time job made it apparent that going back to work wasn't going to be as easy as I had thought. But the idea of not working at New Haven anymore was much too hard to accept, so I worked as an on call staff for awhile - but that, too, proved to be less than desirable. It was hard to work it out with Adam's schedule and I really just missed my little girl! But I still really didn't want to leave! So I was really excited when I heard that there was a position that I could fill that would allow me to continue to work for New Haven but one that I could do from home. And that position has been a really great thing in my life. It was great to be able to be a stay at home mom for Audrey, but to also stay connected to the place and people I love so much and that had come to be such an important part of my life.

Unless you have worked in a similar place (and LOVED it, by the way) you probably can't relate. I truly felt like I was making a difference in the lives of the people I served - and that made a difference in MY life. I felt like I was a part of something much greater than myself - and I felt like I was pretty good at it (most days). I learned a lot about myself in the last six and a half years. And as big and important an education as New Haven was for me, being a mom the past two years has been even more life-changing! And the last three months - with the addition of Luke - has made it clear that I am in a different position in my life and there's not that much time right now for the New Haven part of my life - so it was with much thought and deliberation that I have chosen to give up New Haven. For now. Maybe some day in the future I'll be able to return. We'll see what happens... but for now a very significant era has come to an end.

I love all of the incredible girls that I got to work with. Working with teenage girls is challenging but also the most rewarding. The courage it takes to face your challenges and make necessary changes to forge a more healthy future is pretty incredible to witness and to be a part of. I feel very blessed that I got to be a part of it for so long! I met some of the most amazing, talented, beautiful, courageous, strong, intelligent and inspiring people of my life at New Haven.

And I'm not just talking about the girls and their families. Some of my most cherished friendships are with the staff that I was so privileged to work with at New Haven.









Some of my favorite memories were made with these people and I am so thankful for each of them! Their love and wisdom and support have made such a difference in my life!

And if it weren't for two other indescribably amazing people, I wouldn't be able to let go of New Haven now.





But it turns out that these two cuties need me right now... and let's be honest: I need them too! And I'm so grateful to have the sacred opportunity to raise them and be their mom. I am indeed very blessed!

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

Oh. Wow. What a moment, eh? I'm so happy for you and for your beautiful babies who get to call you "Mom".

New Haven is better because you were there. And you definitely impacted my life for the better.

I miss you tons. So, glad your my friend.

Kjrstin said...

I feel ya. I still can't quite let go, but I'm fading out, too. Well, I say that, but I'll probably go back a couple of more times. :)

I love all your pictures, btw. Your kids are super cute.

Steve and I are wondering when Adam is going to grow a mustache? :)

Becky Rose said...

You did the right thing for the right reasons. Your children are beautiful! Enjoy being a mom!

Amri said...

I'm so glad I met you at New Haven Mandi!