23 October 2009

On October 24, 1975...

a cute, big brown-eyed boy was born. This is what he looked like:





Great cheeks, right?

That cute little boy grew up to be a handsome young man. I met him when he was 25. He was dating a friend of mine. We went on a couple of group dates. I thought he was pretty cool and I was happy for my friend that she'd found a nice guy. Well, I lost touch with that friend and a few months later I ran into that handsome young man that she'd been dating. I was interested in someone else, but I remembered how nice I thought this young man was, so I gave him my number. I had recently moved to Utah and decided that it wouldn't hurt to make friends. And we were fast friends. I wasn't interested in him romantically, but we would hang out and talk on the phone and we just really enjoyed spending time together. We had so many things in common and we got along so well that it really didn't take long to discover that I wasn't nearly as interested in that other guy as I was in him. I found that I was trying to talk myself out of liking him. But I really couldn't help but like him. We just clicked. After about a month of consistently hanging out together - just as friends - he was hanging out at the duplex where I lived and said "So, do you wanna go on a D-A-T-E?" and I said sure. All of the other times we'd been together we'd been with other people. So our first actual one-on-one date was on October 20, 2001. We went to Tepanyaki in Provo, then we watched a movie at my place, and then we went to get a dessert crepe from The European Connection (the creperie cafe where I worked at the time). It was a fabulous night! Our second date was even better - I tried to make it extra special because it was his birthday. And it was! Many fabulous days and weeks passed spent primarily in each others' company. I loved the relationship that we were creating together. I loved the way we interacted and connected with each other. We were falling in love and we were so full of excitement and optimism.





And it was only about six months later that this handsome, big brown-eyed man asked me, on bended knee, to marry him. And it was with tear-filled eyes and not a doubt in my heart that I said yes. And three months after that on June 26, 2002 we were sealed in the Salt Lake Temple.



Tomorrow is that wonderful man's birthday. And the eighth anniversary of our second date. The last eight years have been the best of my life and it is mostly because of him that they have been so amazing. I love everything about him. I love his kindness, sensitivity, generosity, intelligence, and humility. I love that he honors his Priesthood. I love the kind of loving, playful, attentive father he is to our sweet wee ones.






And I still love our relationship. I love the way we interact and how we rely on each other. I love that we can laugh and joke with one another, that we can talk about serious and important things respectfully, and that we can sit quietly and enjoy each other without the need of talking sometimes. I feel so blessed to have him for my husband, my best friend, and the father of my children. And it is my goal to make him feel my gratitude for all that he is to me every day, but especially tomorrow - the anniversary of his birth.

Happy Birthday, Adam! I love you!

No comments: