16 February 2011

California, Chapter Two: Walks with "Gampa"



We had a pretty set schedule while we were in California. Megan and I were both trying to maintain each child's regular routine. Trying to balance having respect for The Routine but also trying to maximize our time together made for quite a bit of back and forth, but it worked out and we made it fun.

Audrey, Lucas, and I stayed at my parent's house, so once we woke up and got dressed, we'd head over to Meg's for breakfast. Most mornings that meant homemade pancakes. We were not complaining. I started to feel guilty that Meg was going to too much trouble for us, but when she assured me that most mornings that's what they do anyway, I decided to shut my mouth and enjoy the deliciousness! (My kids have been in for a rude awakening, returning home to our usual breakfast: cold cereal and toast!) Once breakfast was over there was usually time for a little conversation and a little playtime for the babes, then I'd leave with my two so that her two could have their morning nap.

During this break, we'd head back to "Gamma and Gampa's House" for some hang out/play time before we'd reunite with Megan, Ben, and Hugh for some more fun and lunch and more fun before all four of the kids would need their afternoon naps.

Most days, since the weather was so lovely, my dad and I would take Audrey and Luke for a walk down the street or around the block.


This is how it usually went:

Audrey charges ahead, as fast as her little legs can carry her. She runs until one (or both) of us calls out to her to stop and wait.



Then she stops, turns around and says, "Come on, Gampa."





Then she gets a little impatient, tired of waiting for Luke's slower steps, so she charges back to where we are. Smiling and laughing the whole time. Which makes Luke laugh really hard, seeing his sister running full speed right at him, stopping when she is just inches away.





And then she's off again, not capable of maintaining the much slower pace of Luke's still-learning strides. That cycle repeats for the duration of the walk.



And I have to say, I love watching my kids having fun together, making each other laugh!


Sometimes my dad would carry Luke on his shoulders or in his arms.



Other times he would walk behind, holding hands with Luke for the extra balance-support he needs.


Sometimes we'd go around the whole block, sometimes we'd just go down the street and back, and sometimes we'd get to the sidewalk in front of my parent's house and get distracted by the dried up star-like balls that fall from the tree in their front yard.






One thing that was constant was Audrey's insistence that we "Come on, Gampa!"









California, Chapter Three coming soon....





No comments: