29 January 2010

My Personal Stylist

I have a bit of a confession to make.



I dig celebrity culture.


Wait... is that an oxy moron?




Anyway, I like watching awards shows, seeing the red carpet fashion, hearing about celebrity gossip. Let's be clear though: I don't like how intrusive the paparazzi are. I like watching my favorite actors, actresses, and musicians at events and in interviews but I'm not so into the on-the-street, in-your-face confrontations they are obligated to endure as they're trying to just live their life (like buy some groceries, eat a meal, or even get their mail) and they can't because someone is shoving a camera up their nose.



Wow. I didn't know I felt so strongly about it.







Moving along...



I like following celebrities at events. The Oscars – I'm there. An interview with Barbara Walters or Oprah – totally. The red carpet of the Grammys – count me in. There's something entrancing about it – seeing all the beautiful clothes and shoes and accessories. Up until a few years ago I thought most celebrities choose their own clothes to wear to red carpet events. I would sometimes feel bad when one of my favorites would make a fashion misstep, get trashed for it, and end up on some "Worst Dressed" list. But then I found out that most celebrities employ the help of a stylist – someone who picks their clothes for them and tells them what to wear and when and where and how. And apparently, a top stylist can charge quite a hefty sum for their services and expertise.


I'm pretty lucky, though, because I have a stylist that works for me for really cheap.




Like, reeeeaaally cheap.




Like, so cheap it's pretty much free.


Do you want to hear about her?





Yes?





OK.




Her name is Audrey. She's pretty new to the “Industry” - you might even call her a baby - but I think she's got some raw talent. And she certainly has a way of making her wishes known.



I will give you an example of our last “consultation”:

The other day I needed to run a few errands. I was dressed in my typical jeans and a long sleeved t-shirt ensemble. I had my trusty New Balance running shoes on –





they're comfortable and it's too cold for flip flops. Luke and Audrey were already dressed and ready. I stepped into the bathroom to put just a bit of makeup on – I try to do my makeup at least a few times a week because it makes me feel girly and feminine.



And because I'm worth it.





As I was applying the mascara to my eyelashes, Audrey came in wearing these high heels:




They're her favorite. She wears them all of the time.




Like, AAALLLLLL of the time. So, this was nothing new. What was new was she was carrying this pair of high heels in her hands:





The “why?” became clear very quickly when she set the high heels down right next to my feet and she said: “Shoes! On! ... Shoes! On! ... Shoes! On!”



I interrupted her (very loud and insistent) chant by saying: “You want me to wear these shoes?”


A resounding “Yes!” followed. Then I got a “Yay!” accompanied with clapping. I get applause when my charades skills come through.


Then I said, “But I don't want to wear high heels. I want to wear these shoes.” and pointed to my New Balance. (Or is it New Balances?)


She was not pleased. “No!!! Shoes! On! ... Shoes! ... Pease! ... Shoes! ... Pease!” (Just in case it isn't clear – Pease is toddler speak for Please. She hasn't quite mastered the L part.)



My daughter was basically BEGGING me to take off the practical and very comfortable running shoes and add a touch of glamor to my outfit. Because sometimes being fashionable means being uncomfortable. And it's worth the discomfort to look cute.




And you know what?





She can be pretty convincing.








She really did make some good points.













I didn't give in to her pleading though.


And this is why: Toddlers need to learn about boundaries and not get their way all of the time. I don't want to spoil Audrey. I want her to learn how to be told no. Also, I just didn't feel like wearing high heels while juggling the groceries and my two kids (and it doesn't help that it's icy and snowy and cold).





I think she understood.





I think the yummy-yums (m & m's) helped to soften the blow a little bit, but she understood.



Plus, I think she's got enough glamor for the both of us.








What do you think?

No comments: