19 January 2010

"Benjin"

I have a brand new nephew. His name is Benjamin. (But Audrey calls him "Benjin" because Ben-ja-min is just too much for her little mouth.) He was born on December 27, 2009. He was adopted by my sister, Megan, and her husband, Marc, on December 28, 2009.





This is him. He's just a few days old in this photo. Isn't he cute?! His birth was one of the reasons we went to California.

We went to celebrate Christmas with my parents and my two sisters and their families. Adam only had a few days off of work, so he left on the 28th, but I had planned to stay longer because of my nephew's imminent arrival. His due date was January 11 so my return flight (with Audrey and Lucas) was planned for the 16th. But I guess Benjamin decided that he wanted to have a little more time with his new favorite aunt (ahem, me!) and he came 15 days early. Which worked out great because I got to have more time getting to know him and trying to help my sister in anyway I could... which wasn't as much as I wanted since I had my own two kids with me. But nevertheless, it was a wonderful trip. We were in California for almost a month! It was a great time for Audrey and Luke to spend time with grandpa and grandma and the other cousins and aunts and uncles that were there. I always feel so lucky and blessed to be a part of a family who actually like spending time together!

It was hard being away from Adam for that long - but we managed as best as we could with Skype and plenty of phone calls. I also feel blessed and lucky to have such a great husband who understood why it was important for me to be with my sister during this awesome transition.

My sister, Megan, is meant to be a mother. I don't know of anyone else who is more naturally suited to being a mom than she - and after waiting for so long and enduring so many heart-breaking disappointments and faith-testing trials, to see her holding her sweet Benjamin was one of the sweetest things I have ever witnessed.






This beautiful boy will be so, so loved and cherished. I am so glad I could be there for his arrival and the first few weeks of his life.





I love you, Ben! And welcome to the family!

3 comments:

Familia Fowler said...

Thanks for posting those, so sweet. I am really glad you were able to be there!

Allred Mom said...

Mandi...
What a beautiful post!
I totally agree that Megan is meant to be a mother and it is so wonderful that now she can get all of the earthly mothering experiences that she has desired for such a long time. I'm so glad that you were able to be with her and to help her as Benjamin came into this world.

Marc and Megan said...

I keep coming back to this post because I love the way it feels to see our situation through someone else's eyes. Thanks so much for being here!