24 January 2010

Bonk! and a Couple of Firsts

We have been back from our extended trip to California for about a week. It is so good to be home with Adam - two and a half weeks is a long time to be separated. This week has been filled with just getting back into our life and normal schedule. I am a big believer in having a predictable schedule for my kids - when there is order and a flow to our day we all do much better. Luke is so young that he is resilience personified so it wasn't hard for him to get right back into life as usual. Getting Audrey back on her normal routine has been mostly good but not without it's challenges.

The biggest one: going back to sleeping in her own bed and bedroom at night. She's done well with her afternoon naps but she really loved the perk of sharing a room for the whole time we were in California. She got really used to sleeping next to me so we've had a few nights of her waking up and not wanting to go back to sleep on her own. One of our first nights back she was really having a hard time so we just brought her into our room to sleep for the second half of the night with us. Which might not sound like a big deal but Audrey is a very active sleeper - she does lots of stretching and shifting and moving and flopping and flipping and turning and rolling - which doesn't make for very restful sleep for Adam or me. We did learn one thing from that night - Audrey is cute even in her sleep. At one point in the night she rolled over and her head flopped against Adam's elbow and in her sleep she said "Bonk" - which is what she says anytime she hits her head but that she says it even in her sleep is just hilarious... and so charming. But why am I surprised?! - that's typical Audrey.



The first first: Luke can officially sit up unassisted! He's been doing pretty well with sitting with just a little support for the last few weeks but has still been fairly wobbly. He's not totally balanced all of the time but he's definitely improved to the point where he can lean forward and back a bit without toppling over.





It's crazy how much older he looks to me just because he can sit up on his own!







He's pretty happy about this new development too - the world is a whole lot more interesting from a sitting point of view.




The second first: Audrey playing in the snow.





Friday night we were hit with a pretty good snow storm. It snowed steadily for about four hours. Just in our front yard we had about three new inches. Watching snow fall is so peaceful... until you realize it means shoveling the driveway and sidewalks. Which is what I did Saturday morning while Adam was at school. As I was shoveling the sidewalk, Audrey came outside on the porch with Grammy. And for the first time she seemed really excited about walking and playing in the snow so Grammy helped her get dressed into her coat, hat, and boots while I finished.

When she came back outside she was so excited! It was cute how much fun she had just walking with me in the snow. So I decided to make a design for Adam in the pristine layer of snow. My tracks are on the inside - you can see on the top left where the snow got too deep for Audrey (it was up to her thigh) so I picked her up and carried her the rest of the way.








She thought it was so much fun to play in the snow. She didn't think it was fun that I wanted to take a picture where she was actually looking at the camera...







Audrey! Look at mommy! Please! Smile! C'mon, kid, look at me!








I try all sorts of goofy noises and goofy faces but nothing works.








Thwarted again!

1 comment:

Marc and Megan said...

I'm trying to be happy that you're adjusting well back into your regular schedule... I really am. :) I love the "bonk" story and the pictures in the snow. It's true, too, that Lucas looks way older in that sitting up position. And, for your sake, I really do hope that the adjustments keep coming along smoothly!