17 June 2009

High Heels, Eyeliner and Pedicures, Oh My!

Have I mentioned that Audrey is all girl? She is. And that's how she's been since the day she was born. From the very beginning she has been so feminine. She is such a sweetheart; she is dainty, petite, and giggly. I've already written that she loves to walk around the house in my high heels. She has begun to show some interest in some of my other shoes but the high heels are by far her favorite and most sought after.

Well, she has officially expanded her girly repertoire.

Last Sunday, as I was getting ready for church, putting on some makeup, I turned my back from Audrey (who was playing with my blush brush - another favorite object) for about 10 seconds to apply my mascara. When I turned back to look at her, this is what I saw:



She had taken my black eyeliner and attempted to do her own makeup for church! I was just amazed that she would already be aware that the black stick-like pen thing was for her eyes - people who say babies and toddlers aren't very observant or smart are ridiculous! She knew exactly what she should do with that makeup. Like I said, 100% girl!

Another piece of evidence that supports her innate femininity: she loves to have her toenails painted. Personally, I hold my sister, Megan, responsible for this one. Last March, while we were in California visiting, Megan painted Audrey's toenails. I couldn't tell if she liked it or really even noticed it after it was done. Then, a few weeks after we got back from our trip, while I was in the bathroom painting my toenails, Audrey walks in, notices what I'm doing and starts to make the sound that corresponds to something she wants while pointing to my toes and then to her toes. The pointing and grunting only got more pronounced and intense as I continued painting mine and not hers; so when I finished, I put her on my lap and painted hers as well. And she giggled the whole time. Ever since that day, every time that I find I need to refresh my pedicure, Audrey is right there begging (in her own special, toddler way) for me to do hers as well. Don't get me wrong, there are times when I feel a little silly that my daughter and I have matching pedicures...



but I figure there are worse things in life. And it's just so stinkin' cute that she loves having her toenails painted - there's no way I could refuse when it's such a simple way to brighten her day! And really, whatever brightens her day, usually brightens mine too!

1 comment:

Familia Fowler said...

So sweet! I blame Aaron for the pedicure drama in our house.