21 December 2011

How To Be Lovely

In the last couple of weeks, the lyrics to this song have found their way into my head at random moments and I have found it to be just what I need.  It's from the 1957 movie "Funny Face" which stars the inimitable Audrey Hepburn, the amazing Fred Astaire and Kay Thompson.  It's my favorite Audrey Hepburn movie - the Gershwin music, the dancing, the stunning Givenchy fashion... it's just movie perfection!  

Here's "How To Be Lovely" from Funny Face:  Enjoy!




Sometimes life gets hectic or stressful and I lose sight of what's really important.  It's easy to let difficult (but ultimately insignificant) things grow in your perception to become overwhelming obstacles that you cannot overcome.  I've found in my life that when I can maintain an appropriate and more accurate perspective of the trials and difficulties in life that everything is much more manageable and I am filled with an assurance that everything will work out just the way it should.  It might sound like an over-simplification, but this familiar quote from Lou Holtz really is true:

 "Life is ten percent what happens to you 
and ninety percent how you respond to it."  


I saw a sign somewhere recently that put it this way:

"It is not happy people who are thankful.  
It is thankful people who are happy."

The attitude we bring to each and every situation will greatly affect our ability to manage... or not!  This song runs in a similar vein - if you can find the joys in life and focus on them, that joy will radiate through you and uplift those around you.  And, as an added benefit that makes you are more attractive person... one who others will love to be around.

So, how to be lovely?  My favorite bits:
You can't do it with makeup... you don't need dough or a college degree.

The best:
Make sorrow incidental.  
Let joy be monumental!



1 comment:

Marc and Megan said...

This was so perfect for what I've been needing to hear. I love the quotes, too... and now I really want to pull out Funny Face and watch it! Thanks for sharing your thoughts here, Mandi... I can tell today is going to be a good day!