11 April 2011

Two Fashion Genres

My little girl is not a slave to fashion.


She doesn't follow any of the latest trends, she just wears what she wants, when she wants. And lately, her wants have begun to follow two very specific genre lines.


She either wants to wear:


Genre number one: "pajammies" or


Genre number two: her very nicest Sunday dresses.


(You know the kind, the ones you get slightly nervous about getting dirty. These are the cute, frilly, princess-y dresses that, when you purchased them, they were intended strictly for church. The kind of dress that you have her put on right before you have to leave for church and then immediately take off right when you get home from church. These are not cotton, casual, everyday dresses that I am talking about.)




It's a bit of a struggle - her very first choice is pajammies; and not just any pair. The pajammies that is her absolute favorite was actually a top of a pajama set that I bought for myself. It's a really soft cotton that Audrey loved so much, and she would ask to wear it so often, that I ended up altering it for her (sewing little pleats into the back of the neckline) so that she could wear it as a night gown. She calls it her "Soft".



(While I have many pictures of Audrey wearing the "Soft", this was the only full-length shot I could find... yeah, it's from last Christmas!)


It's cute that she loves it so much (except when it gets dirty and I have to confiscate it just long enough to wash and dry it - those days are sometimes a struggle!). And it's only when her "Soft" is out of commission - on account of being dirty - that she will agree to wear anything else. But her first choice is always other pajammies before actual clothes.


It gets tough because I make her wear actual clothes out in public. When I have an errand to run, and she doesn't want to wear anything except her "Soft"... we always seem to have to take a trip to Tantrum City before we leave the house. And Tantrum City is just about as much fun as it sounds!


The only thing that soothes her from the trauma of having to take the "Soft" off is if I suggest she pick her own outfit. So I let her. And it's never jeans. It's never sweats. It's never shorts or a skirt, even. It's always a dress. And most of the time, it's her nicest dresses.




It would seem there is no middle ground. She either wants pajammies or "Sunday Best".





There is one other acceptable (to her) option, that while I don't let her wear it to church, she still considers it to fit in the same "nice dress" category...



Her Cinderella dress-up dress.



With my little girl, what else could it be?



And I've tried to convince her of the comfort, the practicality, the beautiful wonder of jeans... all to no avail. The girl just prefers being all dressed up - if I make her get dressed at all! (And let's be honest, there are days when she will happily stay in her "Soft" all day long.)


This was a day when I made her get dressed. She wanted to stay in her "Soft" but ended up choosing this red number... but she still couldn't quite let go and carried her "Soft" around with her as I got Luke dressed. (Which, by the way, in case you were curious - Luke has no strong feelings whatsoever about what he wears... so far!)




It was all okay, though. I even managed to get a quick smile out of her before we went on our errands that day...




and we didn't even have to make a stop at Tantrum City.


And that's a good thing!

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

It's so fun to see her personality come through. Can you imagine her in 10 years?