04 November 2010

Crafty Endeavor



A few weeks ago, I was bit by the Craft Bug.


It doesn't happen very often. (Thank goodness!)


I like being creative. I like putting things together from start to finish. I like the whole process.

However, I am not a perfectionist, which usually means crafts don't really go as well as I'd like; things just don't work out exactly as I'd imagined. Sometimes they go ok, but I'm just not built for super detailed, meticulous work that makes for beautiful results. So, more often than not I'm just a little disappointed with the end result.


This particular project was an exception.



It's an Autumn/Thanksgiving wreath for our front door!



Here are a few closer views - this is the top right quadrant, followed by views clock-wise:












I like the warm, fall colors. I like the harvest-y feel of it. I'm really pleased with how it turned out - and it was actually a lot of fun to put together. I like opportunities to be creative, and this was no exception. My favorite thing about making my own home decorations is the idea of these hand-made items becoming part of yearly traditions. Some of my favorite decorations from my childhood home were things that my mom had made, or that her mother had made. There is something special about having to handle these things with special care, about making something that you will use every year, that will even possibly be handed down from generation to generation. (I just hope it holds up that long!)






3 comments:

Familia Fowler said...

Ooh, I want to make one! Did you buy a grapevine wreath and add to it?

Mandi said...

Exactly. It is a large grapevine wreath that I just attached all of the fall goodies to - I put the larger pieces (pumpkins, pine cones, acorns, and corn) first and then filled in the spaces with the smaller pieces (pine cones, acorns, "berries", and leaves). It was a lot of fun! If you make one, you have to be sure to send pictures!

Kristine Adler-Nissen said...

Wow, I am really impressed! It looks really good and like it took ages to make! You should make some more and sell them, I would buy one if I lived a bit closer than 15.000 km away;-)