30 November 2010

Birthday Girl (ahem, I mean) Princess


I promised that I would fill you in on all the details from Audrey's big day... so ready or not....

I started the day, wanting to be sure to have my camera ready to take a few pictures, then I realized that I haven't taken very many pictures lately, so I remedied that right quick. I corralled the kids into the living room, then I wrangled them into sitting side by side on the couch, then I tried to convince them to smile (with the usual funny noises, funny faces tactics).





It's probably not a surprise to anyone except me that they didn't really pay off too well. I had only taken a couple of pictures before Audrey decided that she'd rather spend her Birthday playing than posing for Mama's camera.




(And who can blame her?)


However, Luke was game even if Audrey wasn't so... I took a few more.




Then I decided I shouldn't be a hypocritical, double-standard-loving, picture-taking tyrant, so I turned the tables (and the lens) on myself. Might as well get a few pictures with my kiddos.






I was able to convince Audrey to come take some pictures with me, but by that time she was feeling pretty silly.









She's still cute. And it's perfectly age-appropriate!


Besides taking lots of pictures, we did the usual playtime with toys and then Audrey begged for Macaroni and Cheese for lunch. Right around that time my sister Dawnette and her husband showed up with Talea in tow. Audrey was so excited to see Talea. Immediately, they went upstairs to Audrey's room to play with her dolls and toys. We paused playtime to have some lunch, (the kids had Mac and Cheese and the grown ups had some Mexican food) and then resumed playtime. Audrey and Luke are pretty set in their schedules, so they were ready for their naps just a bit after lunch. So I played with Talea while Dawnette and John snuck away to do a little Christmas shopping. When they returned, it was pretty much time to wake my kids.

Then it was time to eat some cake!





A few days ago, I found a crown-shaped cake pan that I thought Audrey would love, so that's what we did. I also found a few other cake pans that she'd probably love even more but those required more time and skillz than I have at the moment for cake decorating... maybe next year?

I chose blue because Cinderella is Audrey's favorite. She loved it. She was so excited when we brought it out.

Then I ruined the moment with more pictures.





But it wasn't totally ruined because the cake was still in reach...











After cake, it was time for presents. Talea (via her parents) gave Audrey a Cinderella carriage/coach toy and a Cinderella carousel toy. Audrey was amazed by both. I loved watching her expressions as she opened her presents.

Adam and I got her a little Disney dress up trunk - it has Cinderella, Snow White, and Sleeping Beauty outfits, with jewelry that goes with each, a pair of shoes and a purse. Then we got a separate pair of satin-y gloves. Audrey was so excited! It was awesome to see her face.

She immediately started to strip - it was so funny how anxious she was to get out of her clothes and into one of those Princess outfits!

Funny, but not surprising!

Also not surprising, was which outfit she wanted to put on...




Yep, Cinderella.

And Talea wanted Snow White so it all worked out.

Princess outfits obviously meant more pictures needed to be taken. But this time, strangely enough, there weren't nearly as many complaints. In fact, pictures just seemed to be clearly the right course of action.



(I love, love LOVE the tilt of Talea's head! So cute!)


Between pictures, our two little Princesses had to make sure everything was just right and took a pit stop in front of the mirrors.





And then they decided the most appropriate way to end the Birthday party was to watch their fellow Princess, Belle. And I got some really cute video of Audrey singing along to the songs.





It was a fantastic day! Audrey had a great time and I think she really felt special and loved... and that's really the whole point. I'm so glad that Talea could come too. I love watching those two girls play - they love each other so much, they are so alike and compatible. It's fun to see them grow and mature together. A big thank you to Dawnette and John for making it possible! And another big thank you to Grandma and Grandpa for the adorable book... I can hear it now up in Audrey's room... which means she is awake from her nap... which means I should go and get my THREE year old.

1 comment:

Familia Fowler said...

Beautiful princess and beautiful mama!