10 October 2010

Ego Boost


Audrey loves everything having to do with Princesses. Actually, it's everything having to do with being a girl: like dresses and shoes and make-up and nail polish and perfume and ribbons and bows, etc. Somewhat ironically, she used to not really like having her hair brushed, so to encourage her tolerance of having her hair done, I started to say that we were brushing her hair so she could look pretty, like a princess.

It worked like a charm; suddenly the combing was worth it – if it meant she would look pretty, like a princess, she could handle it. She no longer fought me when I told her it was time to do her hair. Every time I finish with her hair I tell her to look in the mirror and I tell her that she looks so pretty. Just like a princess.

Which would always make her happy.



This has evolved over time to me just telling her to look in the mirror when I'm done with her hair, and she has started to beat me to the punch and tell me that she looks pretty, like a princess. And, of course, I confirm that, indeed, she does look as pretty as a princess.




Because it's true.

She does.



I am not one of those biased mothers. I'm not!



Well, it gets better!


The other morning I was combing Audrey's hair, and when I finished, I told her to look in the mirror. She looked and said:


“So pretty. Like Mom.”


Yep. Not so pretty like a princess. But so pretty like Mom. Me. My daughter thinks I am pretty.

It may be silly, but I fell in love with that little compliment from my almost 3 year old. It totally made me feel good. It was a nice little ego boost to start the day.

2 comments:

Marc and Megan said...

That is so sweet, Mandi! I noticed her hair looking more done up in the photos of Talea's birthday. And, for the record I totally concur - she is pretty, just like her Mom! (which is even better than a princess!)

Secret said...

I agree with Audrey, she is "so pretty. Like Mom" :) and smart like mom too :) You are wonderful!
-P