27 September 2010

Audrey Concurs



One of the reasons my sister, Megan, has been on my mind a lot recently has to do with Audrey. See, each of the times that I have traveled to see Megan in the last few years, since Audrey was born, she has come with me.... Except for this most recent trip, at the beginning of September. It was just a very quick over-the-weekend trip so it was just me and The Lucas. Audrey and Adam had a daddy-daughter weekend at home. It was a long weekend for all of us, I think. It was harder than I thought to be away from her (it was the only time I've been away from her besides when I was in the hospital with Luke). It was especially hard to hear that Audrey was having a hard time missing me - not eating or sleeping or talking as much as usual. Even though she understood that I was on a short trip, it took an emotional toll on her. What was funny and so cute, was after three and a half days of being gone, the first thing that Audrey said to me when they came to pick Luke and I up at the airport was: "Audgie fly on airplane, too? See Meg too?" She was ready to get on a plane and go right then. And really, it's only fair! (I would've been ready to go back too, for the record.)



Since then, she has continued to make the request. It will come completely out of the blue. We will be going about our day and Audrey will suddenly say:

"Audgie fly on airplane."

And I will say: "Where do you want to fly?"

She will say: "See Megan."

Then I will say: "When do you want to go?"

And she will say: "When sun comes."

It couldn't be more clear. Really. But then, sadly, I will have to explain to her that we aren't going to be able to go see Megan in the morning... but that hopefully we'll be able to go soon.



Apparently, Audrey gets specifically lonely for Megan too. Almost as often as she gets specifically lonely for her cousin, Talea... but she's only a couple of hours' drive away so those trips are much more frequent and manageable!

1 comment:

Marc and Megan said...

This seriously melts me into a puddle of gooey love for my little Audrey. Whatever she wants - it's hers. :)