21 May 2010

Love

On Monday my sister had a baby. A strapping (8 lb 11 oz) baby boy. The long, natural (medication-free) labor ultimately lead to an emergency C section. (I can relate to that!) Following the birth, baby Hugh was rushed away because there were some concerns about an infection in his lungs. The hospital in the small town where she lives quickly determined that baby Hugh would need to be transferred to a hospital with a bigger and more equipped NICU. So, while my sister had to stay in small town hospital to recover from the C section, her newborn baby had to be taken to big city hospital (that's about 2 hours drive away). It has been a rough and emotional week. The good news is that Megan was released from small town hospital yesterday and was able to be taken to big city hospital to be with Hugh. She was able to hold him for the first time and I am sure the feelings she had were indescribable.

And as emotional as this past week has been - it does not compare to the gamut of emotions that she has been through in pursuing her dream to be a mother. It has been a long and painful journey to get here. Her story has been filled with ups and downs and it has required a lot of faith and hope and spiritual endurance to make it through.

With all of this and the events of the last few days I have been able to think of little else. All day yesterday and into this morning a song has been stuck in my head. And I can't seem to sing the words of the song without thinking of my sister. So I wanted to share this in honor of the trials that she has had to face and for the grace with which she has faced them.





I really love this song. I love it's message. It rings true to me that if, no matter the challenges, the trials and the heartaches that we are compelled to face, if we can face them with love in our hearts we will be unstoppable. And once we have made it through the trial, if we can look back and remember the Love how blessed we will be. To choose to remember the Love that helped us get through it, to remember the Love that we have for the people and things that we have lost - that is strengthening. If we measure the Love we have given, the Love we've received - all of the Love that we have experienced, anything is possible.


Love is the most powerful balm and tool that we have in this world.



My sister taught me that.

2 comments:

Allred Mom said...

So very true! Your sister is so amazing! She is filled with love, not only for the Savior and her family, but to so many people around her! Thanks for sharing!
I, too, have spent the week thinking of her and all that she has been through on her trek to fulfill her desire to be a mother,not only in heaven, but here on earth, too.

Marc and Megan said...

This post made me cry when I first read it and still does now... and I haven't known what to say in response. I just feel so lucky and blessed to have you as my sister and for the love you have always blessed my life with.