22 April 2010

Blossoms

One of my favorite things about Spring is all of the lovely blossoms... on everything. I love how everything goes from gray and dark and drab to green and light and beautiful. I've especially come to appreciate Spring since I moved to Utah. Growing up in Northern California I always appreciated nature and all sorts of beautiful plants a scenic vistas, but I never really appreciated the changes of the seasons until I moved to Utah - because it's so much more drastic and dramatic (seriously, it snowed a couple of weeks ago and today it was in the 60s).

With the warmer weather, all of our plants are beginning to blossom and I wanted to share one plant in particular with you because I think it's so, so pretty. Last summer we planted a Weeping Cherry Tree in our backyard. And since we bought and planted it in July it just had it's green leaves on it's fountain-like branches - this is just a few moments after we planted it:







(Please excuse our weedy, dead grass backyard... it's definitely a work in progress!) When we planted this tree I was so excited to see what it would look like when it was in blossom.

This is the same tree about a week ago - it's blossoms in very tight little buds:







And here's a couple of close ups:












And now, just a little less than a week later, those tight little buds have blossomed into beautiful blossoms:






















What a difference a week can make! It is such a pretty little tree, we are really enjoying it.



Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Marc and Megan said...

Oh, I am almost in tears looking at your beautiful weeping cherry tree. I'm so glad you are enjoying it and all its beauty!

Kristine Adler-Nissen said...

I totally know what you mean. I love having a garding and watching everything come alive in the spring. Unfortunately the weather in Denmark hasn't been very good this spring - we had snow two days ago - so our cherry-tree isn't blossoming yet. But I took a few branches in a vase in the house and they are in blossom now - so I have gooten a sneak preview!

I have also started to plant vegestables so I hope that the first salad plant will come up soon. Can't wait till all the berries and fruit will start to ripen as well yum :,)

Love Kristine

Dawnie said...

I love the beautiful blossoms. what a pretty tree.