04 December 2009

Why you don't leave your laptop unattended...



Yes, this is what I found on our bed after I left the room for just a few minutes. Chalk this one up to another lesson learned at the hands of a toddler.

Audrey and I were looking at videos of herself (her newest favorite activity) on our laptop yesterday morning, when I had to use the restroom... well, she was having so much fun that I decided I would just be very quick; and what harm could be done in the few short minutes she would be alone with the computer? I found out.




I walked back into the room and this is what I found.



Twenty-one keys pried off of the keyboard. And a bunch of the teeny, tiny brackets that hold the keys to the board... can you tell I'm not very technological?

I felt like crying. And as I was scolding Audrey about not listening to Mommy about not touching any buttons... it instantly became very clear this was not Audrey's fault. It was mine. How can I expect a two year old to treat my laptop as anything else but a wonderful toy to explore?



And really, no serious harm was done. I was able to put most of the keys back on. And I learned about how keyboards are constructed all at the same time! I was only stumped on two of the keys - the teeny, tiny brackets on them had the small hinge part broken off, so I'll just have to see if I can buy those and replace the broken ones.





And I'll know for next time that no matter how fast I am, Audrey is apparently faster!






"I pity the fool who underestimates me!"

1 comment:

Marc and Megan said...

Oh, Mandi, the pictures are even better than hearing about it! I'm so sorry... but glad you were able to get it all back together. You're so good about keeping perspective and making your expectations fit her age and understanding. Oh, and if you can't figure the rest out, then we have an extra keyboard you can have.