13 November 2009

My Mama



This family picture was taken in 1981. That's me in the middle - the baby on my Mom's lap. (Don't you love our outfits?!)

I wish I remembered this day. I wonder what it was like trying to arrange and keep us all relatively happy enough to get a few good shots. (Being a parent now I know just how challenging it is to even get everyone looking in the right direction!) I may not remember this specific day, but I do remember my childhood in general as being happy. I remember lots of day trips for picnics at the coast and Redwood groves near our home. And many, many long road trips to Utah (among other destinations) for holidays and summer vacations. My parents must have agreed that lots of family trips would forge strong bonds. And they did. I am so thankful for each of my relationships with my siblings and my parents. And while I could talk about each one in turn, today is all about my Mama.

The most wonderful of Wonder Women.



It's her birthday today and since I can't be with her in person, I wanted to do a post in her honor.

Anyone who knows my Mom knows of her generosity - she is known for giving baked goods (especially her delicious - and quite legendary - homemade bread and rolls) or her hand-crocheted wash cloths. I have many memories of helping her make tea rings, all kinds of cookies, rolls, and bread - and we were never sure if it was going to be for us because she was always so good about giving to others. I'm glad I had that example. I'm glad I have a mother who taught me to cook and bake - and enjoy it!



Aside from family outings and trips, and helping in the kitchen, among my most precious childhood memories are of snuggling up to the side of my mom in my parents' bed and listening to her read books to me right before bed. I remember loving that special time by her side, being lulled by the sound of her voice while looking at the pictures. It didn't matter how many times I'd heard each story, I loved the time she took to show me that I was loved and important. Ours was a busy household with eight children! It's impressive to me (especially now that I know what it is like to be a mom) that she took the time so often to have that one on one quiet time with me. I know that's where my love of reading started. And I am so thankful for those memories and, especially, the feelings that accompany them.



I'm also thankful for her example to me in spiritual matters. I don't ever remember questioning or doubting her testimony. I for sure questioned and doubted my own testimony at times - but if it hadn't been for my absolute knowledge of my parents' feelings and beliefs and faith I wouldn't have made it past those questions and doubts to find my own convictions. I would have been lost. I know this without a doubt. I have been blessed beyond measure.



And I'm so glad that my children get to have my Mama as their grandma. She's a great grandma - always thinking of fun activities and treats for all 27 of her grandchildren! I only hope that I can be as good and influential for my own children. I'm glad I had such a good example to follow.

I love you, Mama! I hope you have a great birthday today - one during which you will feel very loved and appreciated. Because you are!

2 comments:

Marc and Megan said...

Amen a hundred times to everything you said here about Mom!

Kristine Adler-Nissen said...

Hey Mandi,

Reading your blog today really made me miss your mom. She really is a wonderfull person and noone bakes like her. I went straight down to my american supermarket and bought some crisco so that I can bake something good this weekend! I am having all of the family over for a thanksgiving dinner this sunday so the cranberry sauce and marshmellow salad will also make me remeber my first thanksgiving at your house in Ukiah.
Please tell her happy birthday from me :-)

Love Kristine