12 February 2012

Musical Memory

Was anyone else completely blown away by the sad, sad news that Whitney Houston died last night?!  I was.  I still can't quite wrap my head around it!  Music has always been important to me.  No other creative medium has the power that music does - to uplift, to calm, to relax, to excite, and especially to elicit memories.

As I was thinking last night about how the music of Whitney Houston has touched my life, I remembered that it was one of her songs that was my very first favorite pop song.  The first pop song that I knew all the lyrics to.  Do you remember "I Wanna Dance with Somebody"?




And then I remembered a very crisp, clear memory of that song.  I was in the bedroom that I shared with my sisters, Dawnette and Megan.  I remember putting that song on and turning the volume up and going and dancing in front of the full length mirrors of our closet doors - singing along to every word, note, and oooohhh.    Pure Pop Music Magic that song is.

And who can forget the best rendition (ever) of the Star Spangled Banner?  Not me.




But, I think, of all of her songs, the most indelible one is her version of the Dolly Parton song "I Will Always Love You".  I still remember watching her performance of that song on the 1994 World Music Awards and marveling at her pure, peerless talent.  We recorded that show on a VHS tape and I remember watching it over and over and over and over again in the days and weeks following the broadcast.  I watched it so much that that section started wigging out after awhile - I think I'd worn the tape of the VHS by watching those 5 magical minutes over and over again.  Simply put, I was obsessed with the power of her voice.




And what person who appreciates music wouldn't be in awe of her talent?  I was.  I am.  I always will be.

3 comments:

Becky Rose said...

Mandy- nothing to do with Whitney, but I remember standing in front of that mirror and not dancing, but saying to myself sarcastically "You're looking beautiful today" and your mom hearing and saying "that's nice that you can say that about yourself" I hope she was joking too.

Hey, the last few times I've come to your blog I go on C Jane enjoy it too. Is she NieNie's sister? Just wanted to know.

Marc and Megan said...

I was SO shocked last night to see the headlines on CNN. So sad. I was remembering my first favorite pop song being her "I Wanna Dance". And, I have the same memory of singing and dancing to it in our bedroom! Funny. I was just playing "I Will Always Love You" and Hugh came over to watch with me and clapped at the end of it, then pointed and said "more, more." Even he recognizes her unique, unmatched talent! She will for sure continue to live on... a voice like her never dies.

Lindsay said...

Hey, thanks for all of the youtube links. Whitney Houston's music does take me right back to earlier years. Thanks for reminding me....

She is awe inspiring.