22 December 2010

The First Snowman

The night before last, we were hit with a huge storm. We woke up to more than 10 inches of snow on our front lawn. At some point during the morning, while looking out the window, someone suggested we venture out in the cold to build a snowman. So we did.


(Audrey and I trying to construct the base.)


As I was trying to push the snow into place, I realized that this was the first snowman I'd ever built. I'm not sure how I've made it 30 years without building one before now - especially considering that I spent every single Christmas of my childhood in Vernal of all places! And considering that I've lived in Utah for the last 9 years! There have been plenty of snowball fights and snow angels, but I can't recall a single snowman. So, I was pretty clueless as to proper technique.

Adam and Lucas were standing on the porch - documenting the momentous occasion and giving pointers.




(Luke is skeptical about my technique, but is polite enough not to criticize - out loud.)




(Blowing raspberries at dad.)


Even with a little bit of doubt coming from the porch, Audrey and I continued on.








Audrey was really excited and seemed to really enjoy playing in the snow. Her enthusiasm was catching.




(Meanwhile, Adam and Luke were having fun taking pictures together - Luke nuzzling against Adam's face.)


I finished the base for our snowman and was confused as to how best to build the body. I turned to Adam for any nuggets of wisdom he might have. Adam tried to explain the best way to build the balls for the snowman's body and head. I was having trouble understanding what he was saying... so we traded places and he quickly sprang into action:






(Apparently this is the proper technique for snowman body-building.)



(Adam making sure that the base is a good, stable foundation.)


Since the construction was taking a little longer than I had anticipated - remember, I'd never built one before - I went inside with Luke to grab a sweater and mittens and hat for Luke. We also grabbed a scarf and a carrot for our new icy friend in the front yard. And in that time, Adam had completed our snowman.




(Audrey, Me and Luke with the final touches for our family's first snowman.)





It was a lot of fun building this guy together. And definitely a positive side to having such a big snow storm roll through!





1 comment:

Lindsay said...

Congratulations on your first snowman! Isn't it fun when you get to do something for the first time, again, just like when you were a kid. Love it, love it.
Merry Christmas.