29 June 2010

Not Something You See Every Day


So, first of all: it's been awhile. Like a month and a half. (Isn't that equivalent to 3 years in the self-important, self-indulgent blog-o-sphere?)


That's what I thought.



I would apologize for leaving you hanging, but that would be pretty presumptuous of me... that would be assuming someone missed the anecdotes that I like to post here.



Anyway, I am back and I have a few things that I would like to share with you.


At the top of my list of things I'd like to share is something that you do not see every day. Or at least it's something I don't see every day.

Not even close.

In fact, when I saw this particular thing it was the very first time I have ever - ever in my 30 years on this earth have ever - seen.

Ever.


Ever.


Ev-errrr.


(I hope that intro doesn't make this too anti-climactic.)


Here it is:



It's a cute Mama Duck and her - count them - TEN little baby ducklings! Is that not one of the most precious things you've ever seen? And, may I ask: have YOU ever seen a real-live Mama duck walking with her many babies down you're very suburban, city, residential neighborhood side walk? Remember: this was not at a park or near a lake or a pond. This was smack-dab in the middle of our neighborhood! We couldn't think of a logical place where these birds were coming from or where they were headed for that matter.


We spotted them while we were driving home from running a few errands and there they were: a long line of ducks waddling down the sidewalk. I squealed and made Adam pull over so I could look at how cute they were and take a few pictures on my camera phone. And Audrey thought they were amazing! Then we started on our way.

Then I wanted to see them again because they were so cute - all those little ducklings obediently following their Mama down the side walk and crossing the streets. I had seen similar things in books and on some PBS-style TV shows. But never in real life. And never in such a random setting.





We slowly followed the ducks on their journey down our neighborhood road (we followed them for about a half mile)...



and watched while they took a little detour and waded into a rain puddle near someone's driveway...




and then they waddled up the driveway and into the field that is behind it.

And we couldn't follow them anymore.

It was such a cool thing to witness. So cute!

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Kristine Adler-Nissen said...

Welcome back!!! I was starting to wonder if something had happened... You are right - the ducks are really cute and it is not something you see every day - not even in Denmark - the Duck Country :-)

Marc and Megan said...

that is too cute! i love that you went back to follow them!