17 March 2010

The Mysterious Case of the Electrosol Tablet

A few days ago I was doing the dishes.


This is not news.

This is not noteworthy.



This is mundane.

This is the life of any mother.

And I'm ok with it. No, really I am. Seriously. It's all good.

Especially since we have a dishwasher – it's so much nicer than doing them all by hand (even though I rinse and mostly-wash everything before it goes in anyway... but oh well. On a side note, does anyone else mostly-wash their dishes before loading them into the dishwasher? Or am I the only one?)


Bueller?


Bueller?



Bueller?



Anyway, as I finished loading the dishes, I opened the cabinet under the kitchen sink, reached into the Electrosol box, grabbed one of the individually wrapped tabs:





And went to open it.


But, wait! “What the?! This is not right!” I thought.


This is what it looked like:



The corner of the package was already open! Not only that but the corner of the actual tab inside was missing. Inexplicably. I instantly thought of Audrey. Maybe she thought it was candy – it's not a stretch: it's in crinkly, see-through packaging, it looks an awful lot like the powdery candy she likes – like Smarties and SweeTarts.


But I had been in the kitchen the whole time she had been. And she is never in the kitchen alone. If it had been Audrey it had to have happened on some other day. I was confused. I couldn't think of a logical explanation. I really wanted to know what had happened to the tab. Had the packaging just ripped inside the box and then with the shifting, the corner worn down?


Horrified, I asked Audrey if she knew what happened to the tab. She looked at it with a confused expression. There was no sign of guilt or recognition on her face. She seemed curious about it but that was all.


So I set the offending tab aside, hoping that one day I'll figure out what happened. For now, Audrey has been her usual playful, adorable, willful, silly, happy self.



No strange symptoms or anything out of the ordinary.



It's been a few days since that instance and I still have no idea what happened to the Electrosol tab. No idea. It might always be a mystery.


I will let you know if there are any developments.

No comments: