17 July 2010

Sorry Mandi

So, you all have come to know that my wee daughter has quite a lot of spunk. I share stories here and there and I hope they paint a vivid enough picture that, even if you've never met her, give you an idea of how awesome she is. Because she is. And at the end of the day, really the main purpose of this blog is to share how blessed we are and how thankful we are for those blessings.

I just wanted to share quickly the latest thing that Little Miss Audrey does.









She calls me Mandi.







Now, don't get me wrong. There is nothing inherently wrong with calling me Mandi. It is my name after all. And there are much worse things that I could be called. However, this is my two and a half year old. I do not want to be called anything but Mom or Mama or Mommy. I do not want to be on a first name basis with my toddler. It's too soon.

It all started a few weeks ago when Grammy and Audrey and I were working in the yard. Grammy turned on the hose but the trigger on the end of the nozzle attachment was half-cocked and since I was standing near the end of it my legs got sprayed. The surprise of it shocked me as I (I'll admit it) screeched and quickly grabbed the nozzle and deactivated the trigger, stopping the flow. To which Grammy replied, "Oh, sorry Mandi. I must not have turned the nozzle off. Sorry." Obviously, this was not the first time Audrey had heard me called by my first name... but apparently it was the first time it occurred to her that she should be able to call me Mandi too. Immediately she started saying "Sorry Mandi. Oh, Mandi. Sorry." To which I replied, "Audrey. I'm Mom. Call me Mom. Mom. Mmmmmooooooommmmm."



Ever since then, she finds a few times every day to call me Mandi. Sometimes it's when I have an accident (drop something, or bump my leg or knee or elbow) and she'll say "Oh sorry, Mandi." Other times she's just calling for me and she says "Mandi!" And I always respond, "Call me Mom."


Thankfully she really doesn't do it ALL the time. I am still some derivative of "Mom" most of the time. And I'm pretty sure calling me Mandi is just a novelty and will pass. I just hope it passes soon because I love this little girl and I love being her Mom. I can be other people's Mandi. But to be a Mom, that's sacred and special. And to be her Mom, well that is one of the biggest blessings of my life.

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

That's so funny! I hope she drops it after the newness wears off, at least for another 15 years or so.... :)